During my early years of playing guitar, I always thought that electric guitars were better. They looked a lot cooler with rock bands playing onstage and in music videos with electric guitars. Sure they have advantages but they still have their own disadvantages here and there just as acoustic guitars do.
As a matter of fact I slowly started playing acoustic guitar more and started liking it more and more. Could be because I was too lazy or did not have the money to buy the extra equipments for electric guitar and also because acoustic guitars were more portable.
But ultimately it’s just a matter of preferrences. So here are just some pros and cons of acoustic guitar and electric guitar.
Pros of Acoustic Guitars.
1. They are more portable since they do not require extra equipments.
2. They have a more natural sound.
3. They are better for fingerstyle (which is a huge bonus if you play alone like me).
4. You can play electric guitar solos on acoustic guitar too ( though it will sound different).
5. If you are an acoustic guitar player, you will find it a lot easy to play electric guitar since electric guitar
strings are much softer and dont hurt (although you might over bend the strings at the beginning). Also
electric guitars forgive some mistakes due to the distortion.
6. Acoustic guitars get better and better as they get older.
7. They are cheaper.
Cons of Acoustic Guitars.
1. You cannot change acoustic guitar sounds much with electronics. Electric guitars have far more guitar
sound effects available.
2. Acoustic guitars do not come close to electric guitars for music like death metals and rock.
3. Acoustic guitar strings hurt a lot for beginners.
4. Acoustic guitars cannot match electric guitars for super fast soloing.
5. Acoustic guitars are much bulkier than electric guitars. So you cannot do cool stunts like swinging your
guitar around your neck or waist on stage shows. Lesser chance of impressing girls.
Pros of Electric Guitars
1. They have plenty of sound effects to play with.
2. They sound much better for death metal and rock kind of music.
3. The strings dont hurt your fingers. They are very soft.
4. Better for super fast soloing. Better chance of impressing others.
5. You can swing the electric guitar around your body to look super cool on stage performances or in front
Cons of Electric Guitars
1. Requires extra equipments like amplifiers and effect pedals etc. Less portable.
2. Electric guitars do not get better with age. The electronics deteriorate with age.
3. The guitar itself is much more expensive. Add the cost of other gadget equipments.
4. You cannot play electric guitars without amplifiers. The sound is almost inaudible.
So these are some of the pros and cons of acoustic guitar and electric guitar. May be you can find some more points for both guitars. You are welcome to share your thoughts in the comments section.