Major chords are the most basic and fundamental chords in music. They have a bright and happy tone and are used in all the songs. A chord can be formed in different shapes and positions on a guitar. Below is a list of all the major chords in their various shapes and positions. You don’t have to practice every shapes of each chord chart at the beginning. Practice the first chord shape of each major chord and that will be enough. You can learn the other shapes later on once you master the first ones.
Symbols used in the major guitar chords chart below.
- The notes with red circles are the root notes.
- Whenever you see a white circle (0) before a string in the chord diagrams below, it means that the string has to be played open (without pressing down on any fret of the string). For the example, in the first picture below, the top E string (that is the thinnest string of your guitar) of the first chord shape of A major chord has a white circle before the string. So that string has to be played open.
- If you see a cross mark (x) before a string, it means that you should not play that string. Leave that string unplayed. You can see an example in the third chord shape under B major guitar chords.
- The alphabets at the leftmost are the string names (open string notes).
- When you see two notes connected with a curve, it means that all the notes of that fret between those two notes have to be pressed down with one finger. For example, in the second chord shape under A major guitar chords, the notes top ‘A’ and low ‘A’ are connected with a curve. So those two notes and all the notes between them have to be pressed down with one finger (that will be your index finger for this example).
- The numbers below the fretboard pictures are the fret numbers.
Have fun with this easy to use guitar chord chart.
Major Guitar Chords chart.
So those are the many ways you can play the different major chords on your guitar. Hope this major guitar chords chart helps you in learning the guitar chords. As always, practice and be patient. And have fun.