In this post you will learn the major and minor guitar open chords. I have also added a video showing an example song – Knockin on heaven’s door by Guns N Roses (originally composed by Bob Dylan).
Open chords are easy to learn and countless songs can be played using these chords. The best part is that there are only a few primary open chords you need to learn as a beginner – the major and minor open chords. That means only eight chords to learn to start playing those countless great songs!
So, look at the open chord chart below and practice them one by one. And don’t forget to watch the example video below the chord chart. You will soon be playing lots of songs. Have fun.
Example video tutorial showing guitar open chords
Some more songs you can play using open chords are :
- Cheap Thrills – Sia – Em C G D. This a great song by Sia. It is a new song at the time of writing.
- When you say nothing at all – Ronan Keating version – G C D . This song was on top of chart in 1999.
- Leaving on a jet plane – John Denver – G C D Em Am. This song was a number 1 hit in 1969.
- Sweet home alabama – Lynryd Skynryd – D C G . This song was a big hit in the 1974.
- Good Riddance – Green Day – G Em C D. This is an amazing song on the acoustic guitar.
All the above songs are amazing songs that were on the top charts in their time. You can play those songs with only open chords! That’s amazing. So pick up your guitar, look up the chord charts and keep practicing. You will soon be playing all those amazing chartbuster songs.
And most of all, relax and have fun. Take your time and never rush things.